The title says it all! I brought this bento box to lunch today, with a millet black bean salad, a strawberry agar agar dessert and a mini pita bread with raisins, cinnamon and apple (the pita was storebought).
Millet black bean salad (large portion)
- cooked millet (not sure how much I used, about one cup dry)
- 1 can black beans, preferably low sodium, rinsed well
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/4 large red onion, diced small
- handful chopped cilantro
- zest and juice of one lime
- dash olive oil
Mix it all together! Keeps fine in the fridge for a couple of days. I made a huge bowl which I have been serving up to hungry neighbors. It’s kept us from having to cook in the heat for several meals running.
Strawberry agar agar dessert (makes 6 fairly small ones)
- 1.5 cup juice (I used a low sugar cranberry white grape blend, but any should do. A clear one will look prettier, I think)
- about 1 tsp agar agar, or according to package instructions
Slice strawberries and line the sides of a silicone muffin tin (you should need about one strawberry per unit). Boil juice and agar agar for 2-3 minutes, and gently pour into the tins, trying not to disturb the berries too much. Let cool. Agar agar will set at room temperature, but I recommend refrigerating. To unmold, cut around the edges with a small, sharp knife and then wiggle the mold until it comes out.