Here are a couple of bento friendly recipes which I just made. You know I love muffins, but first, here are some neat mini burgers!
Thai-inspired salmon tofu burgers
- one can of salmon
- half a block of tofu, microwaved for 2 mins
- some finely chopped onion
- 2 tsp Thai green curry paste
- 1 scant “flax egg” (about 1 tbsp flax meal and 2 tbsp water, don’t want it too watery)
Mash it all thoroughly together, adding the flax egg at the end, and make small burgers. They freeze well and make a terrific bento food! If you have some fresh lemongrass, that would make a great addition, finely chopped.
Gluten-free pear strawberry millet muffins
Another spin on the great gluten-free muffin recipe, with some extra fiber.
- 1/2 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp psyllium husks (for extra fiber)
- about 4 Tbsp whole, uncooked millet (approx., I used whatever I had left)
- sprinkling of cinnamon
- half a banana
- 1/6 cup oil
- 150 ml plus a little more pear juice
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Sift the flours and rising agents, add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well. In a separate bowl or measuring cup, mash the banana and mix well with the remaining wet ingredients (use a blender if you have one, is if you were making an oily smoothie). Spoon batter into muffin tins and top with 3-4 small pieces of strawberry (these were just thawing for 10 minutes, from frozen)
Bake at 400F/200C for 25-30 minutes.