I tend to do a lot of cooking on Sundays, to fill a week of bentos. Today I made a batch of muffins and a batch of veggie burgers.
Tofu and red lentil burgers
Since I made the tofu shiitake burgers a few weeks back I have been thinking of other options for bento friendly veggie burgers. I bought some red lentils the other day, for the first time in years, and decided to try to make burgers with them. (I made an awesome think red lentil soup on Saturday too!)
There is not really a proper recipe for these, because I didn’t keep that much track of the proportions, but here is what I did:
- Cook 1/2 cup red lentils with slightly more than 3/4 cup water and salt until tender and water is absorbed.
- Microwave a small pack of firm tofu on high for 3 mins, turning once or twice, to get some moisture out of it. (My tofu was frozen, which helps the texture).
- Mince 1/2 onion along with some ginger and garlic.
- Shred 1/4 big zucchini and a small carrot.
- Sauté the onions, ginger and garlic and add the vegetables after a couple of minutes.
- Season generously with garam masala, curry powder, salt, pepper, some cardamom and some cinnamon.
- Using the “dough attachment” of food processor, crumble the tofu.
- Add the sauted vegetables and the now cooked lentils.
- Mix thoroughly, adding some oats and corn starch to make it all stick together and soak up some moisture.
- Check and adjust the seasoning.
- Make small patties and fry.
Pear/Raspberry/White chocolate muffins
These muffins are not really that sinful, although they taste very decadent. They turned out a bit “wet”, due to the moistness of the raspberries and also the stickiness of the white chocolate. I didn’t put all that much white chocolate in them, but it is a nice touch.
- 1 cup wholewheat flour (I used 1/2 cup plain whole wheat and 1/2 cup of a fiber blend which also had rye)
- 3/4 cup wheat bran
- 1/4 cup quick oats
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup mashed pear (I use pears from a can and mash with an immersion blender. I suppose it could be subbed with apple sauce)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 3/4 cup frozen raspberries, broken into smaller pieces if they are big
- some chopped white chocolate (I had vegan white chocolate on hand, and I must have used between 40 and 50 grammes)
Mix all the dry ingredients, add the wet ingredients. Fold in raspberries and white chocolate. Bake at 180C for about 15 mins. This makes about 12 normal/small muffins.